By Kevin Zhang
Israeli police have arrested 42 people in connection with a deadly shooting in a synagogue in East Jerusalem on Friday.
Seven people were killed, and at least three more injured, in the deadliest attack of its kind in years.
Two people were also injured on Saturday in a separate attack outside the Old City.
Israeli police said the gunman in Saturday’s attack was a 13-year-old boy. They claimed he had been “neutralized”, but did not provide further details.
The attack took place in the Silwan neighborhood, which is just outside the Old City of Jerusalem. The injured pair were a father and son who were in a “moderate to serious condition”, police stated.
In response to the two attacks, Israeli authorities boosted counter-terrorism police units “permanently” in the Jerusalem area to “promptly respond to exceptional events whenever necessary”.
The man who attacked the synagogue on Friday was identified by local media as a Palestinian living in East Jerusalem, and was described by police as a “terrorist”.
Speaking at the scene of the attack on Friday was Israeli police commissioner Kobi Shabtai, who called it “one of the worst attacks we have encountered in recent years”.
Israeli worshippers had gathered for prayers at the start of the Jewish Sabbath in a synagogue in the Neve Yaakov neighborhood of the city and were just leaving when the gunman opened fire at about 20:15 local time.
Police said that officers then shot him dead.
Palestinian militant groups praised the shooting, but did not claim responsibility.
Tensions have been mounting between Israelis and Palestinians since nine Palestinians – both militants and civilians – were killed during an Israeli military raid in Jenin in the occupied West Bank on Thursday.
This was followed by rocket fire towards Israel from Gaza, which Israel responded to with air strikes.
The synagogue shooting happened on Holocaust Memorial Day, and Prime Minister Netanyahu personally visited the site of the attack shortly after.