By Christina Hua
As a new year and decade begins, we begin the annual tradition of creating a list of resolutions to better ourselves. However, with the rapidly developing climate change issues and global warming, perhaps one thing to add to the list of resolutions is to find ways to protect our planet.
- Start turning off your lights. A small habit I formed after a third grade lesson on environmental issues has turned into a big part of my household. By turning off your lights, not only can you save on your electricity bill, you can use up less fossil fuels.
- Use reusable bags when grocery shopping. Since January 2011, multiple cities have started charging five to ten cents per plastic bag as an incentive to bring your own bags. Though one can reuse a plastic bag from previous shopping endeavors, plastic bags are hard to recycle and are often placed in the trash. By getting a reusable bag, one can decrease the amount of plastic they use.
- Eat more chicken or fish. Red meat, especially beef, is a huge generator for methane in the atmosphere. Raising red meat animals takes up a huge amount of land, but are only responsible for about 37% of our protein intake. By eating less red meat and turning to white meat will decrease the methane released into the atmosphere and save money.
- Try carpooling. Cars are a big pollutant in the modern world, especially in big cities. However, carpooling is a way to decrease the amount of carbon dioxide one produces, and can save gas money. This way, not only do you help out the environment, but you can also spend more time with your friends!
- Get a reusable water bottle. Plastic bottles are one of the first things that come to mind when people say pollution. That is fairly true, as plastic bottles are thrown away once done and hard to recycle. Even refilling a plastic bottle doesn’t work that well, as the plastic starts to break down. When this breakdown occurs, bacteria and chemicals can get into your system, making refilling bottles a risky choice. By getting a reusable water bottle, such as one made of stainless steel, you will have a bottle that lasts much longer.